Tuesday, August 24, 2010

CHANGES

Once in a while in your life, something comes along and makes a profound impact on your life. This book is one of those. The author, Geneen Roth was on Oprah's sometime back. I looked her up on the Internet....you know....the Internet knows everything! She is the author of several books dealing with eating--weight---etc. However, it isn't about weight. It is about YOU, taking care of YOU, being in the moment, enjoying the moment...like pulling up a chair if you stand and eat at the frig.
Sorry about the scanned book covers.....I wanted you to see exactly which book I was talking about....This book, When you Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull up a Chair. Made perfect sense to me. I have read it twice now in the past week. Here are some of the things I learned.
1. Fat or thin is a "shorthand" for inner stages of the mind and heart.
2. Remember, thin people have cellulite, get old, and die
3. Act on your own behalf, you have to be your advocate.
4. Enjoy life at whatever stage you are in. Enjoy what is in front of you.
5. Celebrate being alive, you have arms and legs that can move.
6. We are not our thoughts.
7. You are more capable of more greatness than you ever imagined.
Geneen talks about "food" as her drug of choice, it could be shopping, alcohol or whatever addiction that keeps you from being your best self.
The chapters are 1-2 pages long which made it great to sit and read just a few pages at a time so you could absorb them.
This is the book Oprah was talking about on her show, and although I have just started reading it, I am glad I read the other first. Woman, Food and God is a lot deeper. But both have been good. ANYWAY....just thought I would share.