Thursday, July 1, 2010

CIRCLES

I saw this quilt on the cover of QUILT magazine at sewing day and made my own version.
I had seen a quilt similar to this one with all the circles being a polka-dot fabric and loved it.
I bought maybe 20 fat quarters and then looked at home for more...and I had just about as many! Guess I like dots?
I know someone is going to ask me the sizes....I cut the white blocks 11" so I could squeeze 4 across the width of the fabric. The largest bottom circle is 8 1/4" I pinned the circle to the background and sewed a 1/4" seam all the way around. So it has a rough edge like a Bulls eye quilt. Then, you cut the background away from the back leaving 1/4". The second largest circle is 7". After you pin and sew it to the bottom circle, then cut out the back again, only this time you are cutting away the largest circle, so you don't have a lot of bulk....if you keep doing this, you won't need to cut additional circles from additional fabrics, you just keep using the the backs you have cut away...sewing them on top of each other making as many circles as you wish. It doesn't take as much fabric as you think....you can share with your friends....The circles seem to keep multiplying!


And if you don't have one of these OLFA compass circle cutters....YOU NEED ONE! (The picture with the little red checks.) You will NEVER cut out circles any other way again! WORTH the money!

14 comments:

asdas said...

Poverty is stranger to industry.....................................................................

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Wow Sheri, that is so awesome! I love the circles of polka dot and circle fabrics! That would also be cute in any scrappy combination of fabrics! And what a clever way to make good use of all the fabric by cutting out the backs!

I'll be looking for the finished quilt to oooooh and aaaaah over!

MGM

Needled Mom said...

It looks great!

Nancy said...

I have one of the olfa circle cutters and I love it...

I have my circle cut, but no time to sew...

Carol said...

Your circles look awesome. You did an excellent pick of what fabric to use for each circle.

Qubie said...

I love my circle cutter. Best money I ever spent. This is so quick and so easy too. Great Job. Thanks for sharing.

Laurie said...

I'm SO glad you shared this with us. I haven't seen the circle cutter - it is now on my wish list. As soon as I am moved and settled AND after the quilts I have already started, this will be a project for me! I think I am going to use a lot of the traditional calicos I have in my stash to make a couch quilt for us. I think quilting around the outer cricles would be easy enough for me. Oh boy! I'm so excited :)

Laurie said...

The Olfa circle cutters are 1/2 price at Joann's online with free shipping! Today is my lucky day!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the dots and circles - your quilt is going to look stunning. Such a happy combination. Thanks for the tip about the circle cutter - I have never seen them before - will have to check it out.

powell said...

Sheri, that is a great quilt... I love the bulls eye quilt that I made a couple of years ago, and I saw a similar circle quilt pattern up at Lisa's in Teton. I would love to make another circle quilt. Great job!

Allie said...

I love this! I'm a big polka-dot fan and this is sheer overload - the best polka-dotty quilt ever!

gnee said...

What a fabulous blog! I stumbled on it under the Moda site...so happy. We both love the same little family in NYC! I need a circle cutter and your new book. Happiness to you and yours.

嘉琬嘉琬 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

Kristal Dawn Evens said...

I love the circle cutter!!! Blade lasts quite a while too even though it's so small