Monday, April 5, 2010

BEAUTIFUL HOLLAND

My friend sent me these pictures in an email. Good thing because we have had snow for the past few days!

How beautiful to look at spring on the other side of the world at the start of our winter!
With more than 10,000 hectares devoted to the cultivation of these delicate flowers, the Dutch landscape in May is a kaleidoscope of giddy
colours as the tulips burst into life. The bulbs were planted in late October and early November, and these colourful creations are now ready
to be picked and sold as bunches of cut flowers in florists and supermarkets. More than three billion tulips are grown each year and two-thirds
of the vibrant blooms are exported, mostly to the U.S. and Germany. In the first picture, an extraordinary 60 million tulips can be seen
coming into flower.

The fields of northern Holland explode into a colourful springtime display Their dazzling colours are thanks to the years in the 17th century when Tulipmania swept the globe and the most eye-catching specimens
changed hands for a small fortune.But like a rainbow, this colourful landscape is a short-lived phenomenon.When the flowers are gone, the land will be cultivated for a rather more mundane crop of vegetables.
Isn't this amazing?
... and a view from eye-level.

10 comments:

Sherri said...

These pictures truly are amazing...to think that all those colors are beautiful tulips...gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these pictures!

Brenda said...

I love tulips. I think I would have a stroke and die of sheer joy if I saw these fields in person. Thanks for sharing these pictures. They are truly amazing. b=)

Southern Gal said...

In my reader I could only see a small picture. I thought it was a quilt! Those flowers are beautiful.

It was 97 degrees in my town today. About 15 degree hotter than normal. We skipped spring!

Annelies Dease said...

My family is from Holland...and I have been lucky enough to see this with my own eyes. It truly is magical.

Sherry said...

How amazing would you mind it If I copied them to send them to a few friends they would love to see this.

Rae Ann said...

I love seeing all of the wonderful color in the rows of fields. We need Spring to knock on our door and stay. We had more snow tonight.
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful!!!

Allie said...

Wow. I want to go there now! I'll have to settle for Holland Michigan, I guess. Tulips are my favorite flower - thanks for sharing these pictures ,Sheri. They are AMAZING!

MegJill said...

Beautiful! At first I thought that was a picture of of a looking machine and threads or something, never thought that could be a landscape! It would be nice to fly over there right about now.

ytsmom said...

Love the tulip photos. Would love to see it in person someday.

Carrie P. said...

Wow, those are so cool.