Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MOCK STRAWBERRY JAM and A QUILT BLOCK

Mock Strawberry Jam...aka ...Zucchini Jam. Has anyone ever heard of this? My husband's grandmother used to make it. I hadn't thought about it in years, until our garden produced a lot of Zucchini...we planted 2 plants, what were we thinking? So I searched on line and found the recipe. You can add any flavor of jello and you really can't tell it isn't the real fruit. I can tell you because I have eaten it! You should try it! Here is the recipe for any brave soul. Cody's grandmother made Orange, I had never tasted Orange Jam or Marmalade before that, but she did make Strawberry too.

Mock Strawberry Jam
5 cups peeled and shredded zucchini, pack tight in measuring cup
5 cups white sugar
3 TBS. lemon juice
2-3oz. pks. strawberry jello or any other flavor
Directions:
1. Stir the zucchini and sugar together in a large pot over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to boil, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and gelatin, and continue simmering 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Ladle the hot jam into 6 hot sterilized half-pints canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the rim and jar threads with a clean, damp cloth. Center lid on jar and screw the ring down firmly. Place into a boiling water canner with 2 inches of water. Process for 10 minutes. Remove from the canner, and allow to cool to room temperature, and refrigerate any jars that do not seal. (recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com/)

Now for something sewing related. This is one block for one of the quilts for my new book, due out in April. I will show you more as I go. Just thought you might like to know I do still sew!

8 comments:

V and Co. said...

okay wait. so is there any water involved here or do we just put the zuke and the sugar in a pot...um yeah i have a little bit of zuke coming out of every...well you get the point. so i may just need to try this!

Wendy said...

This is new to me make Strawberry Jam from zucchini. Love the sneak peak.

Stephanie said...

Sounds interesting and delicious! I learned years ago never plant more than one zucchini plant unless you can feed the neighborhood! :o) Love the colors in your sneak peek.

Quilt Hollow said...

A 2nd Book sneak peek! Love it!!

Sherri said...

I love the quilt block with the applique'd flower on the pinwheel!

Allie said...

For pity's sake. Who knew you could make something good from zucchini?
LOVE LOVE LOVE that quilt block! Hurry up April!

Carrie P. said...

Another book already. You are just a designing machine. lol

Bonnie- Cotton Way said...

The new block is so cute! I love it, keep up the good work, you are on a roll girl!