Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yo-Yo Quilts 101

THIS IS A YO-YO!
Lazy Girl Deisigns has a great tutorial on how to use the Clover Yo-Yo Maker.
I am guessing those of you who are "younger" than me don't know what a Yo-Yo Quilt is so here is a bit of information. This is a brief history of Yo-Yo quilts from Quilters Studio.

Quilt History
Yo-yo quilts are one of my favorites. It was one of the first things I learned to sew. Just use scrap fabric, use any circle as a pattern and cut out. Sew a running stitch, around the edge as you turn under, and draw closed. You can make them from any fabric and any size. We used to insert a bottle cap, sew several together and make a hot pad. If you used all purple fabric they looked like a bunch of grapes. I used to make tons of them and sew them to my jeans, shorts, tops and tote bags. Today they come ready made for you. You can even glue them to lampshades, baskets and other home d├ęcor items.
I have also heard yo-yo referred to as puffs and even Marguerites. This technique dates back to before the Victorian era but was really popular from 1925 through the 1950's. They are never quilted, just tacked together. Some wonderful patterns and designs can be achieved using different colors. Ladies would place a sheet or solid color light summer on the bed and lay the yo-yo quilt on top. The solid backing would shine through giving a lacy effect. Newspapers and ladies magazines would offer ideas for layouts. I have seen them made in many colors but pastels are prominent. I also have some using gingham.
Now you know!
I really wanted to find a good picture of a Yo-Yo quilt to show you, but I couldn't find one I liked, so if anyone has one let me know so I can post it.