Thursday, January 22, 2009

SEWING DITTY BAG TUTORIAL

Okay, this is my first attempt at a tutorial........if it is bad, let me know so I will not do another.
This is my little Sewing "Ditty" Bag. It stays in my big sewing bag, I take it any place I need sewing supplies....and I never take anything out of it! Mine contains:
Scissors
measuring tape
seam ripper (I found these seam rippers at Hancock Fabrics, or you can get them from Amazon.com) They are about $3.00-4.00, and SO GREAT!
mechanical pencil and lead
a package of needles
This is what you need to make the bag:

(2) 9 1/2" x 9 1/2" pieces of fabric I used Charisma by Chez Moi for Moda (It comes in sooo many colors.)
(1) 9 1/2" x 9 1/2" piece of thin batting
(1) 12" zipper

Directions:
1-Sandwich the batting in between the two pieces of fabric. Fabric is wrong sides together, batting inside. Pin pieces together well.
2- Sew (quilt) the piece together using these lines. Across both ways, and diagonal both ways, and then 2" from the outside in a square as in the photo.
3. Zig-zag using a wide stitch, all the way around the square.
4. Cut the metal ends off of the zipper....NOTE: be careful so you don't zip the zipper all the way off the cut ends.........trust me, it is hard to get it back on!

5. Lay the right side (top side) of the zipper (does a zipper have a top side?) on the left of the fabric along the edge. Sew into place along the zipper teeth. I didn't use a zipper foot, I used my wide zig-zag foot. Sew the other side of the zipper to the right side of the square.
6. Fold the two parts of the zipper together at the teeth and pin. The zipper is up -side- down. Stitch across the entire end two -three times to make sure it holds.
NOTE: Make sure you leave the zipper half way open as you sew or you will not be able to turn the bag in-side-out......(trust me!)
7. The tail of the zipper will be sticking out at the other end. Fold the zipper onto itself, and sew across the zipper to the bottom corner two-three times. Cut the zipper off at the end of the bag. This seam is running opposite of the other end. (Note the first photo.)
8. Trim the corners, except for where the zipper tail was.
This is how your bag should look before you turn it right side out.
9. Turn the bag right side out.
YOU DID IT Oh my goodness, posting this took 4 times the amount of time to make the bag!